Sunday, January 18, 2015

the girl with purple shades

I think it was summer of '96. Although I guess it could have been any of the summers 5 years before or 5 years after. The summers that forever changed who I was.

The morning hours were excruciating. Mom would cake on a layer of mystery before she left for the day. Stampeding from bathroom, to bedroom, kitchen, and repeat. The wonder of what her day at work entailed was never near the wonder and anticipation of what mine would bring as soon as my beloved sitter arrived.

The kerchief pattern on the red sheet blew loose in the early hours as it hung in our bay window. The fragments of shadows it created and the soft red light it let in pushed through and danced on the wall, sharing its joy for the impending day. I waited for the shine of sun reflecting off of purple sunglasses, meaning that she was only 12 sidewalk squares away from a full day of fun.

I remember trips across town to the beach in the bike trailer. Running through the sand, too hot for my feet and jet ski rides. On the luckiest of days, I remember treats from the brown snack shack.

I remember ice cream days and messes running down my face.

I remember walks and adventures, lemonade stands, days in the yard, standing in sidewalk chalk stained clothes admiring a masterpiece in the driveway, and bubbles that filled the air as we danced in the sun on the grass.

I remember the lives my barbie dolls lived and being mommies to baby dolls. Playing endless board games from the closet, and stuffed animals that tagged along.

I remember rainy days, when unwanted water trickled through our unfinished roof and the pots and pans she placed delicately around the living room to save the floor as much as possible.

I remember packed sandwiches in Ziplock bags, and mac and cheese with hot dogs on the old dinning room table.

I remember Noah's ark toys during bath time, the tent on my bed, and the large purple container, pushed under the bed, filled to the brim with magnificent tubs containing imagination dough (now, as an adult, referred to as play dough).

I remember the pool and parks.

I remember trips to the 1st street back yard. Climbing the trees, eating berries, and playing with bubbles big enough, I thought they would pick me up and carry me away. I remember learning cartwheels in the front lawn and the green and pink soccer ball. I remember snuggles in the hammock and the smell of the flowers.

I remember dressing up in dance clothes found in the bottom drawer in the bathroom, opening the double knobs with two hands.

And when winter decided to come, with the doom of a fulfilled but ending summer, I remember the sidelines of prom, gingerbread houses, visiting for Halloween, and Christmas in the 1st street house.

I remember love.

Then it came, graduation. I wasn't completely aware of what this meant. To me, it was a day to dress up and once again visit the house where my favorite person lived. I didn't know that the explanation would soon come, that with her away, it was going to be a little different.

To her, I'm sure it felt a little bit more like work. But to me, it will forever have felt like one of the most perfect dreams. A never ending, complete string of joy.

There are a million memories she helped create for me. But the best thing I can ever remember is her complete love for me. I was the one she shared numerous amounts of love with. I was the luckiest person on the face of the earth. I was blessed with not only two loving parents, but a third person, who would do anything for me and loved me unconditionally.

She taught me more than just how to tie my shoes. She taught me things some people never grasp the whole concept of: patience, understanding, joy, grace and true love.

I'll never really be able to understand why I was able to be so blessed to spend my summers under the tender care of one of the most wonderful people on this side of heaven. God gave me a babysitter, childhood best friend, and a forever role model in the best form.

She forever changed who I am, in the best way possible. She was and continues to be truly inspiring, and a huge part of who I aspire to be.

Soon, her love will forever be promised to the luckiest man. For all the love she lent me, I am forever thankful.

Congrats on the engagement Megan, and a life filled with love you will share.


No comments:

Post a Comment