Friday, January 30, 2015

12:19

She's the first heart I have known and remembered for its entirety.

The morning of December 19th, when I was 13 years old is not one I will ever forget. The call, the rush, the excitement. We sped to the delivery room prior to school, unnerved I would be late regardless of my flawless school attendance. That didn't matter in the least on this particular day. The sky was still awakening, the hallways were still cool, and most of the patients were still in slumber. The morning was full of somber. Waiting to enter the room I remember faint beeps, whispers and shadowed nurses waltzing from room to room carrying out their daunting tasks; all second view from what I was completely fixated on...meeting her. The second I laid eyes upon her the yellow haze of the room seemed out of focus. Beating heart, shallow breaths, full of life. Swaddled in a blanket she was placed near the window, as if she was born to be bigger and more full of life than her surroundings. Every day since, she has proven that hypothesis correct.

The years to follow were full of summers spent waking at the crack of dawn, biking across the dimly lit town with chilling wind blowing through whatever I threw on that morning. Anxious to meet a day filled with her presence. From the apartment we departed for daily adventure. Toys, the pool, pictures, and parks. Walks, baseball games, library visits and naps. Being silly and enjoying our summers together.

The winters consisted of shared weekends with us when mom and dad were busy. She joined us for church, and entertained us all during family gatherings; proving her knowledge by rattling off the songs from the most recent concerts and shows.

One day, unannounced, she started to grow up. The way she held her composure as the softball came her way and she hit a home run on the team her daddy coached. The way she explained her dance routines and was eager to show any eyes willing to watch. She gained love for one direction and talked with a heart full of love to everyone who would listen. The incredible ability she gained to love to ice skate and be extraordinary at it.

Then college hit me smack in the face. No more weekly encounters. I could never again just drive across town to see her whenever I felt the need, or baby sit when her mom wanted. My heart ached for missing not just family, but a big chunk of the person I had spent so much time with. Now, encounters consist of Christmas, breaks, reunions, random weekends and weeks before I would set out for camp.

The sequence of short events that happen when I get to see her in town after being away awhile will be forever remembered for the rest of my life. The surprised look, the gasp, my name being squealed, the run with arms outspread, and the embrace we share. Nearly nothing compares to this type of joy. Each day together, while home during break, we squeeze in time to be together; to jump on the trampoline, take some time at the beach, watching hockey, spending time being goofy in the camper during the reunion, ice skating together, and watching her develop her skills in whatever passion she is currently interested in.

Most of my best memories involve her. She has been the single biggest thing to happen to me in the years that I can fully remember. I love her with a full heart.

Daily she inspires me. Her energy, her whit, her confidence. She's remarkably smart, with a fixation on her passions. She strives for individuality and cares deeply. She is growing into a wonderful young woman with an giant attitude to boot. I am most proud of who she is. I'd like to say she's turning into me, but then I remember that she is one of the biggest parts of who I am.





No comments:

Post a Comment