Tuesday, March 15, 2016

I believe

I believe in camp.
I believe that yelling at the table is healthy.
I believe in dancing around the dining hall.
I believe in sitting, standing and being hoisted up on chairs.
I believe in summer air,
in mosquito bites,
and in lake smelling hair.

I believe mud pits are awesome medicine for a rainy day.
I believe in games.
I believe in songs with actions.
I believe in noise makers.
I believe in sticks,
and rocks,
and pine needles.

I believe in sandals,
and t-shirts,
and shorts.
I believe in the skit closet,
and fanny packs,
and bro-tanks.
I believe no one will look socially acceptable when we go out on Friday's together.

I believe nightly campfires warm the soul.
I believe the starts from the athletic field are the most beautiful.
I believe in group building,
in waking up campers with metal plates and wooden spoons,
and chaco tans.

I believe in camp outs,
in raids,
in pranks.
I believe in staff shenanigans,
and sometimes I still believe that the directors don't know they're going on.

I believe camp can change a person forever.
Camp may be made for the campers,
but I believe,
that while camp will always impact a child,
it will forever change the course of a counselor's life.

No comments:

Post a Comment